 Off-Topic / Debate / 27522
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 00:57:42 GMT

http://tinyurl.com/cfj3m

"I Am Spartacus," by "Wretchard," Bellmont Club, February 1

"The first effective counterstroke in the cultural confrontation between the
West and Radical Islam has been fired by Europe. The Guardian reports: 'Two
leading German newspapers and one of France's biggest dailies today reprinted
the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have sparked furor across the Middle
East. The 12 drawings were first printed in the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten in
September, sparking protests by Muslims against Denmark in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait,
and other countries in the region. The offices of the newspaper were evacuated
last night following a bomb threat--a day after the editor in chief apologised
to the Muslim world for publishing the cartoons. Die Welt printed on its front
page today the drawing of the prophet wearing a turban with a bomb about to
explode. "Democracy is the institutionalised form of freedom of expression.
There is no right to protection from satire in the west; there is a right to
blasphemy" the paper said in an accompanying comment piece.'

"In the past weeks Denmark has shown that all is not yet lost in Europe. If
something is rotten now it is not in Denmark. Today conservative Americans have
started a 'Buy Danish' campaign in support of Copenhagen's valiant stand. The
Danes deserve this. The sale of Danish products in the Middle East has come to a
standstill. When little Denmark stood firm the global Jihad probably believed it
was simply another punk European country that needed to be put in its place. Now
the choices before the global Jihad are as follows: up the ante and humble
Europe in its entirety or back down and eat crow. If they push forward the
likeness of Mohammed will probably be plastered on thousands of newspaper and
Internet websites before the week is up. It's a no-win situation for the
Islamists which no one--not the Danish cartoonists, nor Ramussen, nor Muslim
clerics, nor even the startled Europeans themselves--could have predicted."

--excerpted in The Intellectual Activist, http://www.tiadaily.com/