 Off-Topic / Debate / 27272
Re: LEGO moving production; will we keep buying?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:52:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dustin Jones wrote:
One of the main reasons I have always been enamored with LEGO bricks is that
they are European.  I've always been fascinated with being able to build with
bricks crafted in Denmark and Switzerland.

I can handle production moving to the Czech Republic.  That's still Europe.

But China - not a chance. That's the day that I will stop considering LEGO as
European.

I've always read that most of TLG's production is automated, so I just can't
understand how moving to a lower-cost labor market makes sense?  And, won't
transportation costs increase because production is farther from its primary
markets (NA and Europe)?

I wonder that if this moves comes about, will we have two periods of LEGO;
Before China and After China?  I know that I will only purchase Before China
LEGO bricks.

Here's some articles on the planned and proposed moves.

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail&contentid=15946&countrycode=2057

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/ap/2005/09/07/ap2210135.html

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/09/07/afx2209422.html

Hi Dustin,

This seems like something of an overreaction to me. If Lego continues to have
its humanitarian commitments in place then they will only source from reputable
manufacturers within China anyway. If you're worried about them propping up an
'evil' regime then you should already stop buying Lego as the oil that goes into
the manufacture of plastic is already doing that quite well in the Middle East.

If your choice is based purely on the idea of buying from Europe and has nothing
to do with humanitarian concerns then I guess you're in trouble. I know my
buying habits will remain unchanged (unless the price goes down in which case I
imagine I will buy more Lego).

Tim