 Off-Topic / Debate / 2725
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:51:11 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

Actually, NO, with the available evidence (i.e. NOTHING said from TLC so far), it
is correct, not wishful thinking.

We have ONE point of reasonably solid information in this subject:

We have a statement from a TLC employee that they could be FIRED for
showing a consumer the retailers catalog.

Well ok, we have two pieces of evidence. The only way TLC has come down
on fan websites is when they use LEGO in their site name.

It would seem from this that TLC does not care about how their
intellectual property is used by fans on the web, so long as it is
absolutely clear that a fan site is NOT a TLC site.

But there is also a hidden significant item. The two fan sites which
stretch the "fair use" clause the most, are also very restrained, and
would never consider publishing this information.

Think about that. What is the possibility that Brickshelf and Pause are
allowed to exist because the editors of those resources have
consistently shown restraint, and respect of TLC's intellectual
property?

I'm pretty sure Lugnet and Brickshelf DO still exist because of this.  However....

How would you feel if TLC decides that fan abuse of their intellectual
property is such that they will come in and shut down EVERY fan site
which references the brick (check out what TSR Hobbies did to Dungeons
and Dragons web sites if you want to see how a company could chose to
react).

That would be a MAJOR shift from their current Fair Use Policy, and I'd expect them to
post such a change on lego.com and put a pointer to it.  And until they DO post
something, I still am going to assume they HAVE A CLUE, KNOW about this furor, and
choose to ignore it (because if they haven't commented on it because their Legal/Mktg
are dragging their butts, they need to hire new people in those depts - they are PAID
to act quickly when necessary).

Where would we be then? You can darn well bet that if TLC decided to
take such a position, anyone trying to maintain such a site on the web
would find themselves in court. Heck, they might even be able to shut
down Lugnet completely.

And I think TLC has the brains to know that that would do nothing except HURT sales of
Lego, so it would be counterproductive.  At least I hope they know that.  Give them
some credit, I do.

The way I read TLC's position is that restrained and respectfull use of
their intellectual property (which implies not publishing information
"too early") wins their respect, and the biggest element of that respect
is allowing such use to continue.

Yes, and until I see otherwise from TLC, I consider the "illegal 2000 scans" to be
"restrained and respectful use".  I really DO want to hear from TLC about it, one way
or the other.  Then I will respect their wishes (note I have only posted an HTML file
to easily view the pics, I have not posted, nor will I post/email, the pics to anyone).