 Off-Topic / Debate / 27055
Re: Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:14:06 GMT

   What do we make of this?

Is this for real? I notice “LOL” in the address line, of course...

It looks pretty darn real (although I’m not an EE so I can’t tell). It smells legit as a page... although there are a couple of mysterious things. One, it’s on a German domain (.de) and second, there are no other pages on the site. In fact, going to the root gives you a 403 Forbidden warning.

The thing is, I can totally see the US government being involved in logging PC keystrokes behind its citizens’ backs. And I can also see that putting something like this on a non-US-based server would be the only “safe” thing. But the trail there is mysterious... the domain is registered to somebody in Germany, through a German registrar, through a German ISP whose home page reads “it’s gone!” The page was originally supposedly copied from http://www.roflcaeks.biz/lol.html but there’s nothing there, apparently. That domain was registered 6 days ago in California.

Where did you find this link? The source might also provide clues to its legitimacy. Despite the runaround, I think it could be legit. Either that, or it’s disinformation, but Al Qaeda isn’t usually that subtle.

   Dave!

Should this be FUT’ed to ot.geek?

I think so...

Kelly