 Off-Topic / Debate / 2682
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:35:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
Just some minor nits...I putting this into .debate because it feels
confrontational to me, and I'm responding in kind.  Even if it's not
confrontational *at* me.

Wasnt meant to be confrontational, just an observation on the difficulties of
trying to put the wraps on something one it has escaped onto the Internet.
Trying to remove the pictures and the messages is difficult once they are in
everyones caches and newsreaders. Right or wrong, drawing attention to
their 'illegality' (Suzannes word not mine), is bound to make them much more
wanted than before, and sure to drive other folks to make them available 'just
for the hell of it'.

No.  Huw posted his message in Lugnet.announce - which reaches a far wider
audience (I'm guessing) than any other given newsgroup.  Also, if people don't
respect the reasoning of those who ASKED Huw to take down the pictures, then
what is the point of wasting time asking again?  They didn't listen the first
time.

I meant the same generic channel, i.e. lugnet, not a specific lugnet group, as
opposed to say rec.toys.lego

So Huw puts in the hard work, and everyone else gets the hits.

How is this relevant?  Who cares who gets "the hits"?  Is Brickset going to
disappear tomorrow because of insufficient traffic?
If these other sites aren't crediting Huw for the work, take it up with them.
Don't come here and gripe.

Wasnt griping, just suspect that most people who put effort into their web
sites like to see the resulting traffic whether for commercial reasons or not.

Beyond saying "ha ha, didn't work" does your post serve any point?  Because
from where I'm sitting it sure sounded petty.

Sorry if it sounded petty, as I say was just pointing out the difficulties.
Just chatting away, like one might around a beer in the pub,  thats what
newsgroups in part are for arent they?

Didnt mean to upset anyone

regards
lawrence