 Off-Topic / Debate / 26558
Re: Australian terrorist released without charge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:19:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
Three years without a trial, without even a charge, and now released:

  http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-01-11-gitmo-british_x.htm

snip

I'm not sure which is worse - knowing he was
dragged off to Egypt and not taking steps to look after him, or not even
bothering to wonder what the US had done with him.

One can only assume that Australian fear of US trade and defence reprisals
exceeds our fidelity to our citizens.

And what is it with governments not wanting (or feeling the need) to apologise
for anything? Habib has lost 3 1/2 years on suspicion which has proved not
indictable, yet he and his young family will receive compensation from neither
his government nor the one(s) that had him incarcerated, if they have their way.

Yeah. That's freedom. Freedom to flex your muscle with no reprisals.

ROSCO (still waiting for the Hicks "trial")