 Off-Topic / Debate / 26435
Re: To David T Johnson, Acting ambassador, US Embassy, London
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:26:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
From the pages of the Guardian...

Dear Mr Johnson,
On November 26, your press counsellor sent a letter to the Guardian taking
strong exception to a sentence in my column of the same day. The sentence
read: "[In Iraq, US forces and their Iraqi surrogates are no longer bothering
to conceal attacks on civilian targets and are openly {eliminating} anyone -
doctors, clerics, journalists - who dares to count the bodies.]" Of
particular concern was the word "{eliminating}".

The letter suggested that my charge was "baseless" and asked the Guardian
either to withdraw it, or provide "evidence of this extremely grave
accusation". It is quite rare for US embassy officials to openly involve
themselves in the free press of a foreign country, so I took the letter
extremely seriously. But while I agree that the accusation is grave, I have
no intention of withdrawing it. Here, instead, is the evidence you
requested... <http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1366278,00.html
more>

Which goes part and parcel with this paper--

http://www.acq.osd.mil/dsb/reports/2004-09-Strategic_Communication.pdf

but if ya don't feel like slugging thru that, see a journalistic synopsis--

http://www.sundayherald.com/46389

Starts off great--

"THE Pentagon has admitted that the war on terror and the invasion and
occupation of Iraq have increased support for al-Qaeda, made ordinary Muslims
hate the US and caused a global backlash against America because of the
“self-serving hypocrisy” of George W Bush’s administration over the Middle East.
"

No!  Say it ain't so!!  No one saw that one coming--what, Muslims hate Americans
more since the war started??  Who knew???

Oh wait--everyone but the US Administration stated that this was the most
probable outcome.  And isn't it wonderful that in the supposed 'freeest nation
on the planet', this little Rumsfeldian document, which was "released" in
September, wasn't actually released until after Nov 2nd.

Nothing to see here--move along.

Bush, you're pathetic.

Dave K
-who is not even commenting on the sheer audacity of Dubya's flagrant disregard
of protocol when he made his trip to Canada.