 Off-Topic / Debate / 26430
Re: Wading in...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:15:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ray Sanders wrote:
to the debate forum where I usually don't contribute very much.

I just read this piece in the online Yahoo edition of the LA Times. To say that
I am concerned is putting it mildly. There is probably little that I can do
personally, but if the dollar continues to weaken I don't see how it could avoid
affecting the prices of our (at least here in the US) beloved LEGO bricks...

HEY!!!! No wandering on-topic in here please!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2026&ncid=2026&e=2&u=/latimests/20041114/ts_latimes/dollarsdeclineisreverberating

Well, I guess y'all will have to get used to higher interest rates, and more
people running out of credit. Better start paying off all those cards now!! But
seriously, to me it seems it's just another rotation of the fortunes wheel -
sure lots of Americans will go through hardship because of it, but as long as
Alan Greenspan knows what he's doing[1] and world events don't get in the way,
it won't last forever.

ROSCO

[1] He does, doesn't he?????

Greenspan's touch only comes in concert with an administration willing to listen
to his advice.  He's been Chairman of the Fed since the tail end of Reagan.
Daddy Bush refused to heed Greenspan's warnings creating the economic recession
of 1990.  Greenspan did not recommend the third round of tax cuts, citing that
the first two had appeared to have already taken.  Yet, Junior pushed for a
third and there you are.

Read any Greenspan biography (the Man Behind the Money or Maestro) and you'll
see he was most impressed with Clinton's command of economics.  While
Republicans continue to charge 8 years of the greatest economic boom in the
history of this nation were just a “slick willy” sham, I tend to believe that
Mr. Greenspan is not so easily duped.