 Off-Topic / Debate / 26337
Re: Somewhat OT: Ever read any Robert J. Sawyer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:42:17 GMT

David Simmons wrote:

The Neanderthals have developed an
individual monitoring system.  Every Neanderthal has a implant that monitors
everything that happens to the implantee within a certain radius throughout
their entire life.  The implant cannot be tampered with and the info is
recorded in a way that is totally unalterable.  However, no one watches the
monitoring as it's being recorded, and any individual can view their
recorded info at any time.

This had the effect of making every Neanderthal personally responsible for
his/her own actions.  They know that if they commit a crime, even if no one
is watching, it will be recorded (and can be played back as a holographic
movie) as irrefutable proof should an accusation be made.  Of course, the
presentation of this principle in the story is idealized, I nonetheless
found it very attractive.

Now, all this blather is not to say that I think that this idea is the only
one that could work, but I do think that it has potential.

Whaddya think?

Simply put - who decides what a crime is?

Considering currently what can get you locked up longer than if you *kill*
someone, there is no way, no how, that I would support such a system, or
anything even approaching it.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/