 Off-Topic / Debate / 2629
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 02:56:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Franks writes:

Ahh... subtle British humour... (1)

One minor fault I have is that I can be a bit precious about the spelling of
my surname,

Nah, it's not a fault - stick with it! It's a common courtesy to get someones
name right. Just now the web seems to be filled with affluent 'westerners', but
when it becomes a more truely global medium, we'll be grateful for all the
practice we had with Callaways and Pieniazeks :)

(1) WHERE HAS IT GONE???!?!?!??!?!

It went away with the Monty Python crew. Now *that* was humour at it's best.
Rowan Atkinson is keeping it going, but he's just one (but still great) man.

Ahh, I dunno.. do you get much recent British comedy down under? It's either
going to be mostly British or American I guess! I'd like to think that there
isn't a distinction between American and British comedy, but there *does* seem
to be a difference in atmosphere.

While visiting Canada - Canadians get mostly American TV, poor things, I saw
several "truely" dreadful comedy programs. The worst of which called itself
"Mad TV", _the_name_wasn't_ironic_ - urgh!

Speaking of bad TV - I can't believe that the stations over there broadcast 911
messages, "argh, help.. my family are being burned alive..", cuts to
fake-sincerity-woman, "The tragic house-fire downtown today". And I was
genuinely appalled when they started playing the tape of William Shatner
reporting his wife being drowned in their pool - it took a few seconds for
the vulgarity of it to kick in, but the television went straight off.

It's just such a horrible concept - and there is no news-value in it at all,
ratings value perhaps. Bah! Long live the BBC!

Sorry for the off-topic rant!

Richard