 Off-Topic / Debate / 26152
Re: Religious Freedom Claim Taken Too Far?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:24:50 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
I'm not sure that "force" is the right word to use there, since it
carries a lot of baggage in a libertarian context (re: the initiation
thereof).  If he agreed, even implicitly, to non-discrimination in
his license (i.e., the contract), then he is in breach of contract if
he thereafter discriminates.  The only force used against him is the
force required to enforce the terms of the contract, as agreed at the
time of contract.  This would be true, I think, even in a free market
system where some analogous license/contract framework were[1] in
place.

Well, perhaps force is too strong, though I'm comfortable with anything the
government requires as being forced in that ultimately, if you refuse, the
government could escalate to use of force.

I agree that the pharmacist's contract may very well require him to not
discriminate. I was talking in the general sense. In a free market system,
the pharmacist might well be licensed by a Christian agency, and thus the
licensing itself might not include a non-discrimination clause for
contraceptives (and might even require it's licensees to NOT dispense
contraceptives). I expect such pharmacies would exist in a free market, but
I would also expect that they would not be used by quite a variety of
medical plans (though I could still see a large company like IBM that
overall doesn't discriminate offering such a health plan as a choice, I
would also expect to see non-discriminatory health plan choices).

Frank