 Off-Topic / Debate / 26072
    Re: Why these news groups were created —Dave Schuler
   (...) The term has invested with the connotation that I don't think it should have, honestly. In practice, the word tends to mean "altered by human intervention," but this definition is valid only if we declare that humans are not part of nature, or (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Why these news groups were created —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I think your definition makes a lot of sense but the problem is that it doesn't give a distinguishing metric. (I've used that to great advantage when arguing against those that argue against "artificial flavours" for example). That said, what (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Why these news groups were created —Dave Schuler
     (...) I may be misunderstanding you, but are you identifying the lack of a point of distinction (between natural and unnatural or natural and artificial) as the problem? I'm not clear on this objection, I'm afraid. (...) Yeah, I guess it's a matter (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) A problem for the other side, I guess, but yes, a problem. I know what the organic crowd is trying to get at, they'd rather not see manufactured banana flavourings in their milkshakes for example, and I know what the "homosexuality isn't (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created —Ross Crawford
     (...) Well the only musical reference that comes to mind is the song "It's Only Natural" by Crowded House. Did they have an album of that name too? ROSCO FUT: .o-t.fun (20 years ago, 29-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

         Re: It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created —Ross Crawford
     (...) Which is on the album "Woodface" IIRC. ROSCO (20 years ago, 29-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

        Re: Why these news groups were created —Frank Filz
   (...) This is sort of how I feel. Of course it does seem to make unnatural a less useful term. Even supernatural is a difficult term, though it's use to separate God from God's creation (assuming you accept the existence of a creator god, or a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)