 Off-Topic / Debate / 26041
    Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge —Tim Courtney
   (...) What restitution would you suggest for causing an accident that killed someone? Maybe I'm not being creative enough, but the person's already dead. Wouldn't the goal be making sure this person _never_ does the same thing again, and that as (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge —Frank Filz
     (...) Sure. Because society somehow forgot to teach them compassion, respect, self-worth, etc. Should we wash our hands of them, dooming us to repeat offense, even if we keep them in prison? Or do we decide to look for ways to help them break the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) As you note, the death can't be taken back. But that person could, and this is merely an example, tour highschools giving talks to classes about what happened and why. He could fundraise for traffic safety organizations. (...) That's a (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge —Lester Witter
   The problem with drunk driving is the drinking (not trying to be obvious). Punishments and programs that do not address drinking will not work because if a person shows poor or no judgement when drunk, then they will continue to do this after any (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)