 Off-Topic / Debate / 26036
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:57:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Coronado wrote:

alright, let me throw everything out on the table:

I'm not actually sure what happened.

what the bumper sticker says.."GOD said it, i believe it, and that
settles it".  i am not perfect, but

What exactly did God say?  Not being perfect, yourself, how do you know He said
it instead of some guy with a pen?

i know better than to question what GOD says or does.

Without questioning what you BELIEVE God thinks or wants, and knowing that you
are, in fact, not perfect, how can you be sure that you're right?  Is it even
remotely possible that you have, as imperfect people have been known to, gotten
some of it wrong?

GOD's wisdom.  HE's my absolute, HE determines what is right or wrong,
and that is all that matters.

It's not all that matters.  Even if we postulate that He determines right and
wrong, You determine what YOU believe is right and wrong and what you think you
understand about His message.  Right?  I mean, the God of Christ is specific in
leaving it to you to determine whether you want to be good or bad, holy or not.
That means that you must figure out what good and bad actually are, not just
accept some preacher on TV at face -- or even what your parents told you about
the Bible.  (And obviously I don't know if that fits your particular case, I'm
just giving an example.)

as for the death penalty, jojo, i find it absolutely detestable that we
live in a society where murderers and child molesters have rights and
unborn children do not. explain that one to me.

I can explain it.  People are not perfect.  We are ruled by issues of
pragmatism.  I'm a little funny about abortion because I stradle the line -- I
see very good arguments for and against choice.  Most people seem to have a firm
opinion, but it doesn't seem like such a simple thing to me.  I don't know that
fetuses are in any meaningful way humans.  I just don't know.  But I DO know it
about convicts.  They are.  And they are mostly either not as bad as we all
think, or they're broken and deserve our sympathy.  They need our help.  That's
my explanation for it.  Many things in our world are sickeningly cruel, but to
be good people we have to suck it up and deal with it.  We have to BE good
ourselves if we want the world to reflect that.

if i can close this whole discussion up, then let me do it this way:  i
apologize for coming across like a jerk.

Frankly, I never thought that.  I think you are sadly mistaken, as I noted in my
other responses to you, but within the confines of your understanding of things,
I have no reason to fault you.

i am trying to bring people to CHRIST in a loving and respectful way.
apparently, i did the opposite here.  my temper got the best of me, and
obviously i have completely turned everyone off.

This strikes me as particularly odd.  I didn't see any of this.  I didn't see
you trying to shepherd.  I didn't see you being a hothead or a jerk.  I wonder
what I'm missing.

Chris