 Off-Topic / Debate / 25996
Re: Internment (was Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:15:31 GMT

Purple Dave wrote:
US citizens of Japanese descent were classified as POWs?

Officially all J-A citizens/residents were termed "dangerous enemy
aliens" (technically, so were all German- and Italian-Americans, but
everyone collectively turned a blind eye to them).

There were German internment camps also. The numbers were much smaller, so
they have got less exposure.

I'm not sure it does, or they'd probably be parading it around.
Especially given how badly the internment situation was managed, I
don't think anyone would want to hold that up in an attempt to
engender support for detaining people who actually fired weapons at
our troops.  I'd never really noticed this before, but the situations
are completely reversed.  In WW2 we were imprisoning peaceful and
loyal citizens under the justification that they weren't really
Americans.  Now we're imprisoning people who are clearly acting as
enemies under the justification that they're still technically
Americans.

Except most of the "enemy combatant detainees" are not citizens. And those
who are citizens should certainly have the constitution applied to them.

Unfortunately the precedent that is being set is that the consitiution only
applies when the president thinks it should (as long as he can point to some
kind of "war" to justify executive priviledge).

Interestingly, some of the cases that have already been through the courts
already have unravelled. Perhaps there is hope that one day we will look
back on this black time in our history and say "never again." But I fear
that hope is slim since we didn't really seem to have learned from WW II...

Frank