 Off-Topic / Debate / 25956
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:49:15 GMT

   So keeping sex private keeps sex “holy”, or set aside, as an ultimate act of giving. Making it a common act in the streets cheapens it to meaninglessness.

Oddly, this is straight out of Mircea Eliade’s “The Sacred and The Profane,” which speaks of the investment of “sacredness” into certain places/customs/actions so that those places/customs/actions are preserved against alteration due to changes in society. I’m not a big fan of Eliade, who reads, to me, like a watered-down version of a watered-down Heidegger, but that’s beside the point.

Though I’ve never even heard of Eliade or his/her? work, why would that be “odd”? That you aren’t a fan and that I sound like (okay, I googled it...) him should sound about right, no;-)

   As far as meaninglessness goes, if your notion of “meaning” requires the artificial sequestering of a place/custom/action, then you’re welcome to do that in your own life, but it’s not appropriate for you to require it of others, even if your view is shared by the majority.

Again, the ultimate expression of society isn’t anarchy. I have a right to try and shape our society the way I see fit, as you ARE DOING by advocating yours.

   Didn’t you read your post? You’re claimed, with no specificity, that “when people make private things public it is at the least embarrassing and at the most offensive.” Lacking a disclaimer, your claim applies to all private matters, and my statement was a contradiction of yours.

Maybe some things, but not those things. Are you specifically arguing that public sex is beautiful?

Depends on the participants, IMO. Really it’s just a matter of aethetics, as far as I’m concerned. I’m not pretending that my aesthetic values are equivalent to some universal standard of decorum, nor am I insisting that my values must be shared, upheld, and protected by everyone else.

But see, now you are hiding under the cover of relativism. Nobody’s opinion is any more valid that anyone else’s-- except those who have opinions that may affect your behavior (and with those with whom you agree;-) You want your cake and eat it, too. You can’t just argue from a standpoint of believing in nothing. Or do you believe in no standards for society?

   “Don’t ask, don’t tell,” right? You’ve stated outright that the revelation of homosexuality will

No, “can”.

Fine. Can. But even that disclaimer is a disturbing indication that you “can” be unable to treat people with equal respect when those people reveal aspects of themselves that you find aesthetically unappealing.

   When offensive things are thrust into my face (and I’m not talking specifically about the gay lifestyle here)

Holy moley! Ease up on the mixed metaphors, will you? We’re a family forum, after all.

Are we still?

   and I am taunted by them; yeah, it can affect my attitude toward them. I think you overestimate your ability to control your emotions (unless you happen to have some pointed ears that I don’t know about)

You’re deliberately misstating the situation. The mere expression of a natural lifestyle (be it gay, straight, or what have you), which doesn’t in itself constitute a threat or harm, is not “taunting.”

That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about those who insist upon making their sexuality an issue in every situation, in every instance.

   The fact that you identify it as such speaks of either hardcore narcissism or really unhinged insecurity.

Well, I don’t so save the pop psychology. And speaking of your PP diagnoses, people who insist upon revealing their sexual orientation sound to me to be either hardcore narcissists or suffering from a case of really unhinged insecurity...

   Can’t you just allow people to exist as they are?

Yes, as I have stated many times before (as long as “as they are” means that they aren’t er, thrusting their agendas in my face)

   Why must they closet themselves to suit your preferences?

NOT closet themselves. Just keep their sexuality private. (as I want heterosexuals to do as well) If it becomes known in casual discourse, fine. I have no problem with that! Knowing someone is gay isn’t the problem. It’s people who need you to relate to them in terms of their gayness. It really is more of an issue of respect than anything else.

   The fact that you feel so threatened by a festive and pointedly campy celebration of freedom is truly amazing.

That’s a clever way to put it. I suppose you feel the same way about a KKK march as well.

As a matter of fact, I do recognize a KKK march as an expression of free speech.

I was referring to the characterization as “festive and pointedly campy celebration”. The KKK is more about hatred than freedom.

   Yes, now that you mention it. But I was actually referring to your perception that your awareness of someone’s homosexuality causes you to treat that person differently.

You know, treating them differently isn’t necessarily bad. I treat men and women differently. So what?

Lesbian women or heterosexual women?

Do you require women to hide the fact of their sex/gender because it makes you uncomfortable? Do you object to women marrying the person of their choice, and do you propose that women should alter their behavior because their behavior “can” cause you to treat them with less respect?

Let me restate. I have no problem with gay people as people. I find the thought of gay sex (particularily among men) repulsive. I would like to relate to gays as just people, not as sexual people. Why must sex be an issue? Why must sexual orientation be germane? Why must one’s identity be inexorably interconnected with their sexuality? Why do gays (for the most part) feel the need to tell the world of their particular sexual orientation? And you may say that not all gays are like that, to which I’d say “Hallelujah” and of course I know that! They aren’t the ones about whom I’m speaking.

   If not, then you’re clearly applying a different standard of respect to heterosexual women than to gay men or women. But if so, then I suspect that your issues re: interpersonal respect run far deeper than simple questions of sexual inclination.

   Not just gays, but everyone. If we keep the private and intimate stuff private, then everybody wins, no?

To make everyone more like you,

Civilized?

If “civilized” means “rampantly-repressive and beholden to immutable social taboos,” then yes.

Is there a place between there and all-out (no pun intended) sexual freedom? Would you now like to argue against clothing? (in warm climes, for instance)

   or perhaps just more generically alike?

Yeah, that’s the ultimate goal-- a world of clones of me.

Take it to lugnet.off-topic.clones, please

Or perhaps lugnet.loc.us.me?

   Where do I exit this crazy ride? That may equate to “everyone wins” in your world, but to many people, the repressive, anti-sexual fantasy land that you propose is not discernably different from full-blown dystopia.

Perhaps. But to many people, the open, self-indulgent, any-thing-goes carnival isn’t utopia either.

But the expression of homosexuality doesn’t prevent you from doing anything other than pretending that homosexuality doesn’t exist or isn’t natural. The behind-closed-doors society that you advocate does require intrusive repression of other people’s lives and lifestyles.

Your right not to feel “repulsed” does not supersede other people’s rights not to be subjected to institutionalized repression.

You know, it’s hard to defend limitations and very easy to attack them, and quite easy to advocate anything and everything. Is this what you propose as an alternative, because if it is, then the discussion is over, because at that point I’ll be happy to agree to disagree.

Because in a truly enlightened society, all are free to do as they please but refrain from certain behaviors out of respect for those who might find their behavior offensive. As I have said before, freedom without responsibility is worthless.

   You are correct. Are you saying that gays are particularily repressed?

Specificity, please. Particularly repressed relative to whom?

I was speaking in governmental policy terms (besides marriage).

Well, that’s a big one, so let’s not just omit it.

Only because we “have been there” already.

   Many of the protections and benefits of marriage are also currently denied to gays, so that’s a form of repression not practiced against women or blacks or Christians or atheists or Train-heads or stamp collectors or whatever.

I would like to start a conversation that distinguishes between using the terms “marriage” and “civil union”, because I think therein lies much of the disagreement. Gays are looking for equal protection; others are looking for preserving the definition of marriage as the union of omow. Can both sides be accommodated?

   Additionally, certain types of crimes against children are subject to much greater penalties than are those same crimes committed against adults. This is because of a societal impression that children are an “innocent” class of citizen who need special protection; to put it another way, they are entitled to additional protection because they are potentially subjected to additional crimes beyond those inflicted upon most adults. Similarly, if another group is specifically persecuted in ways not applied to the population at large, then that group is, in my view, eligible for special additional protection under the law.

A crime is a crime. Equal prosecution under the law.

   You can complain that laws already exist to protect gays against assault or discrimination, so they shouldn’t be “privileged” with additional protections. But to someone interested in equal protection under the law, the very act of singling out a group or person due to general characteristics or habits is a separate problem all by itself.

A crime is a crime. Besides, why single out the particular persecution of gays? Why not women? Why not the elderly? Why not racial? Why not economic? Why not political? Because it’s a mess and unnecessary IMO

JOHN