 Off-Topic / Debate / 25950
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Rayhawk wrote:

   (An interesting point to note is that all sexual behavior is inherently disgusting. In fact, minus a couple of key arousal hormones, human beings find all expressions of sex to be disgusting and repulsive, including the most traditional heterosexual forms, even if prior to the loss of those hormones they took great enjoyment in sex.

Are you discussing some certain circumstance? I know people under horomone-treatment for gender reassignment and people who’ve been surgically gender-reassigned and they don’t report such repulsion. I know a woman who had a radical hysterectomy who doesn’t report that repulsion.

The article I read dealt with dysfunction related to clinical depression, and didn’t describe the hormones as sex hormones specifically - so I conjecture that by “arousal hormones” it was referring to something more along the lines of seratonin.

There’re actually all kinds of basic biological functions that we find disgusting if not conditioned to enjoy them - I’m reminded of the “food aversion” that can result get if someone gets their nutrition intravenously during the infant years during which their brain would normally be conditioning itself to gain pleasure from eating.

   Little kids, prior to the expression of these hormones in puberty, notoriously find even romantic kissing to be gross,

I call socialization. I know several kids -- my own, in particular, who were raised in sexually open households who do not display that tendency. I did when I was a kid, so I totally know what you mean, but my ten year old son has never done so and is completely comfortable with sexual topics.

All right, I’ll hand you that one, I was stretching to find some kind of hypothetical examples. But on the other hand you have to admit that from an objective standpoint, there’s still a lot about sex that’s pretty disgusting.