 Off-Topic / Debate / 25809
Re: “family-safe” ? (Re: Lavender Brick Society)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:23:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:

   It’s rather hypocritical to be tolerant (read ‘approving’) of only those people who are tolerant of you, and intolerant of those you feel are intolerant of you. Basically this is a kindergarten mindset of “I’ll like you if you like me, but I’ll hate you if you hate me.” Welcome to the new tolerance.

If I get you, you’re saying that people can only be considered “tolerant” when they are willing to endure any level of abuse from all comers. Is that right? By placing “tolerant” in a position that no human being can reach, you eliminate the word from the useful vocabulary. Further, your assertion, as I read it, is that anyone who is unable to reach this unreachable state of grace is significantly immature.

I call horsepucky.

Chris (Who wonders why common expressions for equine excrement or OK, but the much more common expression for the excrement of male bovines is not.)

No, you didn’t get it. What I am saying is that YOU tolerate only those that believe the way you do, and anyone who does not agree with you you automatically place into the homophobic, hateful camp, whether they actually are homophobic or they have rational explanations for not agreeing with you. Your intolerance for those that disagree with you is clear when you say they ought to cancel their posts, and the others who posted here that ‘homophobic’ posts (in other words, posts that do not approve of a lavender group) ought to be censored - you cannot handle anyone else’s opinions except those that affirm and approve of yours. You want to eliminate debate on the grounds that ALL opposition is irrational and hateful.

You guys are the ones who first brought up censorship. You were the first to throw out the ‘intolerance’ card to anyone who didn’t say this was a great idea.

And as for someone else using bad language in a post, I’m not going to sit here and say I approve of that either. I don’t think it’s called for at all - it is unnecessary when discusing Lego. I also am (not so) sure that I would never,ever see any bad language or sexual terms/slang or sexual innuendo in a gay lego newsgroup, ever.....I’m sure it would be just as clean as the purest wind-driven snow.