 Off-Topic / Debate / 25771
Re: “family-safe” ? (Re: Lavender Brick Society)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:00:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:

   It’s rather hypocritical to be tolerant (read ‘approving’) of only those people who are tolerant of you, and intolerant of those you feel are intolerant of you. Basically this is a kindergarten mindset of “I’ll like you if you like me, but I’ll hate you if you hate me.” Welcome to the new tolerance.

If I get you, you’re saying that people can only be considered “tolerant” when they are willing to endure any level of abuse from all comers. Is that right? By placing “tolerant” in a position that no human being can reach, you eliminate the word from the useful vocabulary. Further, your assertion, as I read it, is that anyone who is unable to reach this unreachable state of grace is significantly immature.

I call horsepucky.

Chris (Who wonders why common expressions for equine excrement or OK, but the much more common expression for the excrement of male bovines is not.)