 Off-Topic / Debate / 25784
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:42:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   Being gay presents a special problem, because their behavior is repulsive to heterosexuals.

I’m not sure I agree-- I don’t find it repulsive at all-- rather like, I dunno, say, Islam. I’m not Islamic and I’m not gay. Neither are my cup of tea, and I’m not about to start praying to Allah or jumping in bed with another guy, but I’m not actually repulsed by either. Certainly if someone tried to force me into either situation, then yes, I’d be repulsed, but that’s not what’s happening.

   And this goes beyond religion and beliefs, so I’d rather not see them dragged into the discussion (until the end, eh Lar?).

Doh, too late!

Hm. How about someone who eats dead bugs? Kind of different insofar as I think that’s even LESS normal in our society than being gay, but perhaps it’s an even better example. Knowing someone eats bugs probably wouldn’t bother me-- *watching* them eat bugs might, and certainly eating bugs myself would seriously repulse me.

That might be a better example than the whole Islam bit, actually, since watching someone “being Islamic” (IE praying to Allah or whatnot) wouldn’t repulse me, though watching two guys have sex probably would. Hm. I wonder what repulses me more, watching gay sex or eating bugs? Probably bugs, I think. If I had to rate the three, watching people “being Islamic” wouldn’t even bother me remotely, gay sex probably would only make me kinda uncomfortable, and watching people eating bugs probably would actually disgust me.

Anyway, regardless, I think you’re right insofar as some people really and truly are thoroughly disgusted at even the knowledge that someone else is gay. And if nobody was disgusted, it probably wouldn’t be an issue. But sure enough, they exist. But the further problem lies in the fact that everyone wants everyone else to change. Those who aren’t disgusted are thoroughly convinced that those who *are* are simply intolerant or secretly homosexual. They think that obviously the people with the disgust have the problem. And those who are disgusted want all the discussion gone so they can stop being grossed out-- they think it should be a no-brainer just to not talk about things like that.

DaveE