 Off-Topic / Debate / 25780
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:57:36 GMT

Hello!

No other group
is so easily overlooked (intentionally or not) in everyday life.

So why whould one (intentionally or not) _look_ at them?

You can't walk
up to a black man and think, "This person is white," without knowing that you're
lying to yourself.  Black people are black, and white people are white

There's no reason that I actually _think_ "this person is black" It's just how a
person is, it's obvious, it's not a matter of must-think-about.
I don't look at a random person and think "hm, this guy could have diabetes.",
either. That's none of my business (unless I'm a doctor and the situation is a
medical inspection). So why whould I ought to know if a person is straight or
gay? (Yes, I can imagine situations when i would want to know if a person is
straight or gay but those situations are not what Lugnet is for in the first
place.)

straight is the assumed standard, so unless a person makes a point of telling
you their sexual orientation (either by stating it outright, or by making it
unignorably blatantly clear through Jack McFarland-esque behavior), it's very
easy to assume they're all straight.

It's also the assumed standard not to have diabetes.

And by the way, for those of you who like political correctness

That's certainly not me ;)

Bye
Jojo