 Off-Topic / Debate / 25719
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:29:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

well. This isn't how I would usually choose to out myself, but....I feel obliged
to make some kind of response. I am a long time lego fan, and I live a gay
lifestyle. Although it is usually not discussed, most people who know me also
know this, or at least I assume they do. (If they choose to not get it, I don't
feel the need to be forceful.) I find it to be quite interesting that only 2
other gay people have responded, while the vast majority of the answers are from
'het's. Doesn't suggest a whole lot of need for a gay newsgroup, right? For 4
people? Not to say that I'm against it. But is there really a need?

So. With respect to the appropriateness thing: I think children can know about
gay relationships without going into sexuality. My friend's 3 year old daughter
understands that sometimes girls marry girls (or boys marry boys). This is no
big deal to her. Not even very interesting.

be marginalized. Being gay is not my primary identity. There is a lot more to me
than this lifestyle choice. In the rest of my life, I do not seek out gay
communities, just communities. I feel strongly that it is very important to
integrate gay people into the larger group. But, going hand in hand with this, I
think that gay people have a responsibility to educate non-gay people that we
are all people, all basically the same. This can't be done by hiding. Of course,
many (most?) straight people don't need this education, but there are still
those who do. Certain family members and work mates come prominantly to mind....

About gay MOCs. I brought a castle to BrickFest this year. I was going to have
it inhabited by 2 women (because I would like to be living in my castle), but I
reconsidered and only put in one. I know that I could have put 2 and probably no
one would have noticed and said 'hmm, are they just friends? But there's only
one bed...', but I didn't feel comfortable because I don't really know how this
community feels about gayness. I suppose I shouldn't care. But I think all gay
people, when approaching a new/unknown set of people, proceed with caution.

So, I suspect that part of Teddy's intentions may be to get a better sense of
how this community as a whole feels about our subgroup.

Cyndi