 Off-Topic / Debate / 25506
Re: suspended Bricklink shops/
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:40:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   But wosrt of all, while I see how Larry’s store should be shut • down while in violation of the TOS or Dan’s wishes, but Larry as at *least* a • BL buyer is totally unrelated to the issue at hand. Removing his account • entirely seems completely unjustified, as Larry didn’t seemingly make any • mistakes as a buyer, only as a seller.

As a buyer/seller on ebay, Amazon and Bricklink I want the admins • to protect me from individuals which don’t respect the ToS.

Now that’s just ridiculous. While I would understand your concern if • his TOS violation was in regards to non-payment or non-shipping, let’s face • it, it wasn’t. It was about a particular policy which hadn’t been clearly • enough spelled out until dictated by Dan J.

No. He showed that he thought he could dictate the ToS. I want to be protected from that sort of mind-set.

   If a chap on ebay has a feedback rating of “-2” as a buyer on • ebay would you bid on his auctions?

Would I hire someone who had been arrested for jaywalking? Would I • hire someone who was arrested for stealing funds from his previous employer?

Relevance?

I’m not saying that I know for a fact that Larry’s account wasn’t • involation of anything regarding a buyer’s TOS. There might have been other • reasons involved that made Larry a bad buyer, but if there are any, they • haven’t been brought up. From what I can see, it was a rash decision.

If you sold rights to prostitution on Ebay in a country where it’s • legal (unaware that it were against Ebay’s policies),

Not relevant; Larry was well aware of BL’s policies. As I understand it, Larry knew he was breaking the ToS... he then tried to get cute with Dan. Result (in American English): Dan kicked his fat ass out of town.

You may argue that Dan could have given Larry another chance or should have shown more discretion. I’m just not convinced that Larry would not have abused that and continued to get cute. What do you think? It is notable that Larry’s posts on this issue lack contrition.

Scott A.

   and Ebay told you it was against their policies to hold your auction, and cancelled all your • existing auctions: Should they also try and prevent you from buying anything • on Ebay ever again? I mean, sure, it’s their call, but that’s just going too • far.

DaveE