 Off-Topic / Debate / 25454
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:46:54 GMT

   But in joining BrickLink, the member acknowledges that interpretations of the TOS are ultimately up to BrickLink, not the member. The member should certainly attempt to clarify confusing language, but that doesn’t mean the member should be free to work counter to the TOS. And it doesn’t help that the “solution” proposed by the member was perceived (and not arbitrarily perceived) to be gratuitously snippy. When threatened with having his membership revoked, it would have been prudent to act with deference rather than lawyeristic defiance.

But prudent to what end? Because Larry desperately values his BL store? Or maybe because he wanted to bring the subject to light, aggresively if need be? My guess is that for Larry, it’s the principle of the thing, not whether or not his store is open. Certainly if Larry’s main source of income was his BL shop, then maybe he should indeed have succumb more easily to Dan’s requests.

But to flip it around, would it have been equally prudent for Dan J to act with tolerance rather than lawyeristic defiance, in light of the fact that Larry might have made the subject into a public debate, possibly putting a bad light on BrickLink?

   I get the sense that you think BrickLink should be required to make considerable effort (ie, should be forced to allow renegotiation of the TOS) to accommodate Lar, while Lar should not be required to make any effort at all. How is this equitable?

Why is it equitable for Lego to cater to Wal*Mart, but not to small shops? Why do companies bend over backwards for important/famous/rich customers? They don’t need to, but if they do, they’re more likely to get good press. If Dan wants a positive public opinion, he should bend over backwards to accomidate Larry. If he doesn’t care, he shouldn’t. His call, but hey, if he doesn’t make what I personally would consider to be a good effort, or makes rash decisions, I’ll think less of him, and be more likely as a customer to abandon BL.

DaveE