 Off-Topic / Debate / 25324
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:12:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   So what I want to know now is, if nobody can step up to the plate and defend Bush, who exactly are all these people who answer polls stating that they intend to vote for the guy? It makes me think that all those polls are being conducted on electronic voting machines with no paper record.

Well, since you used me as example last week, I suppose I should confirm that yes, I’m still planning to vote for Bush. However, I’m not going to defend my choice here. Others far more articulate than I are doing a much better job of that elsewhere, if you look in the right places.

Chris, if you want more insight into my decision, we could possibly discuss it in person at some nelug event before the election.

Have fun,

Don

This isn’t aimed at you, Don, but if anyone has an answer as to where these “articulate” voices are, let me know because I have a question:

The latest “I’ve approved this commercial” from Dubya is the “in 1970 there were 40 democracies” and now there are (don’t remember the number, but a lot more)”. And then the ad claims that two more have been added, Afghanistan

Afghana-where?

   and Iraq. Have either held a democratic election yet?

Perish the thought!

   (that’s not a sarcastic rhetorical question)

Not to mention the implied relation of the growth in democracies and the Bush presidency - where’s the connection with Dubya?

…not to mention Bush’s support for non-democratic nations such as Uzbekistan.

   Daddy Bush opposed a horde of new democracies in fact. Anyway, this illustrates why I hate TV political ads: they treat you like an idiot and hope you don’t notice (feel free to zing Kerry, this nonsense knows no boundries).

It also illustrates why I’m glad we essentially don’t have “political ads” in the UK. We restrict our parties to sharing an almost daily 5-10 minute slot during election campaigns (4 weeks).

When the phrase “There now follows a party political broadcast” emanates from the TV, millions of kettles are switched on seconds afterwards.

Scott A

-->Bruce<--