 Off-Topic / Debate / 25274
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:48:54 GMT

I actually agree with an awful lot of what Larry says in this thread. But not all of it. And I think he’s misread me in a couple of places.

I’m not talking about eliminating market mechanisms from the determination of what work can be rewarded. Only to what degree. It is good that both Tercells and Lexuses (Lexi?) are available. I have no problem with you wanting a Lexus and doing the extra work (or not having other luxuries) to get one. I am grossly offended by the fact that you should be able to get such a luxury almost off-handedly (and maybe not you, but some people can) while others will never have that kind of earning power no matter how seriously they work or study or scrimp.

The continued references to a soviet determining what work is valued enough for payment suggests that you are misunderstanding what I think. I think you should be paid for digging holes exactly to the extent that someone else wants to pay you. Commerce should be free in that way. I’m just thinking it should be a crime for you to charge more than one manhour for a hole that took you an hour to dig.

Chris