 Off-Topic / Debate / 25252
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:27:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   This still doesn’t explain why that is a bad thing, and why you were so willing to go around in circles for weeks on end on the topic. As you are trying to do once again.

Why don’t you explain why changing the definition of marriage is a good thing. Again I defy you to come up with an alternative definition. Nobody will.

Well...

If presently: “marriage is defined as the union of one consenting adult male and one consenting adult female”

And proposed: “marriage is defined as the union of two consenting adults” (Assuming they’re human, US citizens is that needed?, and adult = greater than or equal to 18 years of age)

Pros to the change: Gays may now get married (which in and of itself isn’t terribly wonderful-- it’s more the rights that they’re entitled to after *becoming* married that are the real pros)

Cons to the change: ?

You’ve claimed that it’s bad to change, but again, I have to ask, why? (I think I’ve gotten to this point of the debate with you twice, but I don’t think I’ve gotten a reply). I only see reasons TO change, and I really don’t see any NOT to, short of irrelevant ones 1.

Can I assume that the main knock on defining marriage as the union of 1 woman 1 man is that it discriminates (against gays). But doesn’t your proposed definition discriminate against polyspousewanters? Why is your discriminating definition any better than the one already in place?

   Are you arguing that it’s actually bad that gays are allowed to get married?

No. I have repeatedly stated that it is not a gay issue. What I have said is that changing the definition will render the institution of marriage meaningless by watering it down to become just about anything.

   IE that they actually shouldn’t be allowed to get inheritence, be claimed tax-wise as spouses, get hospital visitation rights, etc? (or whatever legal perks you get from marriage) Or are you saying that there’s some other negative aspect to gay marriage that I’m missing?

I think many of these benefits issues are easily solved without messing with the institution of marriage. Advocating the changing of the definition of marriage merely so that one can obtain certain legal right seems to me to be quite an obtuse way of going about it. I am not opposed to many such rights.

As far as other negative aspects of gay marriage, I would only include one-- child-raising. I believe that every child has the right to have a father and a mother. They are not equal and interchangable. All things being equal, I believe it is better for a child to grow up having a mother and a father rather than 2 of one or the other. Again, all things being equal, 1 woman and 1 man is the superior and ideal family-raising scenario.

JOHN