 Off-Topic / Debate / 25234
Re: Hey Pyramid Guy!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:45:13 GMT

So there's this Maslow guy who talked about the 5 tiers of basic needs--

physiological needs - food, water, secure place to sleep, etc
safety needs - won't get eaten, stabbed, whatever
love and affection - emotional bonding with others
esteem - 'bonding' with oneself--getting some self confidence
and then the peak-self actualization--the spring board to 'become all you can
be'...

now I'm no therapist or have a doctorate in any psychological field at all,
but one thing struck me as a little not-so-good about this

i got into a few conversations about co-dependant relationships with people
in the past, and looking at this hierarchy, looks like it plays into the
whole co-dependant thing--why would you put the emotional bonding with others
before, or as a 'bigger, lower foundation piece' than your own sense of
self--self esteem.

I guess that's the question-- what does being 'on top of the pyramid' translate
to? More valuable? More primary? More advanced?

Maybe someone with some sort of education in this field can clear this up for
me.

I gots me some edgy-kay-shuns in philosophy-- and arguably dipping into
psychology. I seem to recall that Hegel talked about the fact that it's not
really a nicely dividable subject. Each 'area' of thought and development builds
upon other ones as well, and allows them to continue. So it's not so much that:

Step 1) Get food, water
Step 2) Protect from enemies
Step 3) Acquire social sense
Step 4) Get self esteem
Step 5) Do whatever it was step 5 was (what *is* the 5th level above? I don't
get it)

By Hegel (and I'd have to agree, sorta), it's more like:

Step 1) Get food, water, protect yourself from enemies, develop incremental
social sense, develop sense of self esteem, and 'step 5'
Step 2) Repeat step 1, only moreso

But that aside, I would wager that by developing a sense of self-confidence, he
means in a social context. IE that a person living on a desert island with no
human contact really doesn't have a sense of self or confidence, just of being.
Part of having confidence is judging yourself with respect to other people. "How
smart am I?" "How strong am I?", etc. Someone with no social experience probably
doesn't care, and has no need to care. The question at hand is more "Can I
figure out how to get those fish without scaring them away?" or "Can I lift that
stone?" Whether you they or not results only in the specific success/failure.
Assuming failure, it's just "No, I couldn't lift that stone". There's (arguably)
no loss of self-esteem or humiliation.

Anyway, that's my guess as to what this guy means, and... I'd agree (assuming he
means it how I've interpreted it), provided you throw in Hegel's points on
thought development.

However, if he's arguing that you need actual bonding (love/affection/etc), then
I'd disagree. I'd say you don't have to care about other people to obtain a
sense of self-confidence, you just have to be aware of the social situation.
That said, however, I think love/bonding is one of the first senses of society
that we develop (love/bonding/admiration for parents most likely). So really I
guess I'd argue that it's *likely* that this guy is correct in practice, but
wrong in theory.

DaveE