 Off-Topic / Debate / 25230
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:25:00 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:

   by the deception and scare tactics that have been used as excuses to erode personal liberties

What personal liberties of yours have been eroded?

Maybe you mean only as a result of 911, but if not, you both seem to have an odd stance here. My second amendment liberties have been eroded by both sides of the spectrum. Each side has an agenda and neither of them are my freedom.

Exactly the point I was making upthread as to why I reject both sides and plan to (probably) vote Libertarian.

Kerry voted for the Patriot Act, after all, if I am not mistaken, and has no plans to repudiate it, or the War on Drugs or any of number of other egregious liberty violaters.

Well, nobody’s perfect. Me, I’d vote for the candidate who’ll deliver a half gallon of premium ice cream to my door each morning. Lacking that candidate I can either vote for her as a write-in, or I can vote for the candidate who gets closest to my other priorities.

Alternatively, I can convince myself, perhaps not incorrectly, that the two leading candidates are so similar that a vote for one is no different from a vote for the other. But really it’s a matter of perspective: MEGABLOKS is indistinguishable from LEGO. Or is it? To the informed observer, the two brands are different enough to allow for a choice between two distinct candidates.

Sure, there may be similarities between them on issues about which I feel strongly, and these may annoy me deeply. But on other issues I may agree more with one candidate or the other, and if those issues are of sufficient weight, then that’s the candidate who’ll get my vote. Is it my ideal candidate? No (witness my lack of ice cream). But it’s a game of inches, after all.

If you were forced to identify the distinctions between the Democratic or Republican candidate, under threat of (insert hideous punishment here) if you refused, what would you do? Would you really claim that no distinction exists?

Dave!