 Off-Topic / Debate / 2523
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:38:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jasper Janssen writes:

From my copy of Asimov's Foundation: "This book is sold subject to the
condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent,
re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publisher's
prior consent"

Of course, as far as a book that a publisher sells, this is entirely
unenforcable to keep you from re-selling the book, at least in the United
States thanks to the doctrine of "first sale".

The relevant part of title 17 US CODE 109 (a) states:

   "Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106(3), the owner of a
particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person
authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the copyright
owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy or
phonorecord. "

I just hate the abusive things that publishers and the owners of IP do to
intimidate and create fear in their customers.

Will

DISCLAIMER:  The above is a non-binding commentary on a very specific fact
pattern.  Your mileage may vary.  This does not represent anyone's opinion,
even mine.  Do not taunt happy fun ball.  Though I am a lawyer, I am not to be
trusted with anything.  Please do not take what I said about copyright law
above to mean anymore than it does, I was just commenting on a very specific,
narrow part of the law.  The penultimate disclaimer brought to you by the
department of redundancy department.