 Off-Topic / Debate / 25098
Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:52:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
And the SC had the opportunity to make a ruling supporting the common man's
stance on the wording of the pledge and chose to stick to the limited legal
point.  While I agree with their choice, I think the fact that they took that
road does provide some evidence that they agree with the 9th district.  If
they flatly disagreed, they would have been tempted (and able) to make a more
sweeping indictment of Newdow's claims.

Firstly, I think "common man" is a bit inappropriate here, since it very
inaccurately suggests that the majority of Americans are opposed to pledging
"Under God" (remember that many non-church-goers still consider themselves to be
religious).

Actually, I think you need to reread what I wrote.  I think the common man's
stance is that the POA is fine as is.  That's what the court could have
asserted.

It is just so with a god.  I can't claim certainty of knowledge.  But I do
believe, because of the complete lack of evidence where it seems that some
would be quite likely, in the "utter absence of a god."  Atheism seems to
most accurately capture truth, so that's what I consider myself.

If I took my shoes off and found purple toes, I'd change my mind.  If a god
presented himself, I like to think that I'd remain open to changing my mind.
But there's no zeal to my toe-color fixation.

And thus you've described the difference between belief and fact.  Until
presented with evidence that proves to you specifically, beyond a doubt, that
"god" does or does not exist, you can only believe.

And this "difference between belief and fact" is what you're claiming underpins
the difference between agnosticism and atheism?  But a Christian only has the
belief too, so are they agnostic?

Chris