 Off-Topic / Debate / 25064
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:13:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   I don’t get it; am I missing something obvious? What makes the “ten virgins” “bridesmaids for the bride”?

Probably some sort of historical precedence. By modern standards, they probably wouldn’t be, since they’re characterized as waiting at the reception hall rather than being part of the wedding party itself. On the other hand, they’re specifically labelled “virgins”, and it’s considered traditional to have unmarried women/girls stand with the bride (and theoretically they’ll remain virgins until they get married).