 Off-Topic / Debate / 24794
Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:22:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
Yeah, but LA to Boston is only 5 hours...he was flying east.

Last I checked, it's faster to fly west than east, since you'd be flying into
the planetary rotation instead of overtaking it.

I must admit I have never checked, so I can't even say "last I checked", but
since Long Jumpers don't slaver at setting world records on a west facing runway
let me be the first official doubter.  Going east helps getting into orbit since
that is an absolute speed issue rather than a relative one (most of the counter
rotational I can see take off from Vandenberg here in California - which is also
better for counter rotational since it isn't as far south).

-->Bruce<--