 Off-Topic / Debate / 24774
Re: Not particularly on topic for .debate but what the heck (was Re: Geography
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
(Oh, and as far as Canadian provinces, everything west of Quebec inclusive
that's a province and not a territory. Or, if you'd rather: none of the
territories, not PEI, not NS, not Newfoundland, and not Labrador

You got me curious now: isn't Labrador a part of Newfoundland nowadays?
Administratively speaking, that is.

I have no idea offhand and didn't look it up in advance. Perhaps someone else
does know and feels strongly enough about it that they want to share.

But being American, it's apparently expected that I not know... just trying to
hold up the stereotype.

I could hold up the Canadian stereotype, eh and say the centre of the universe
is Toronto...

Faulty history/geography recollection--Newfoundland came into Canada in '49 (or
was it '52, should really refresh my memory on that one)

When I was a kid, most people said Newfoundland-Labrador (did the hyphenated
thing...)

Now, for most Canadians, it's just Newfoundland, and for my money, next to
Southern Ontario (where I live), it's the most gorgeous place in Canada.

Me--Never ventured outside North America.

Personally drove to and vacationed in Manitoba, Ontario (obviously), Quebec, New
Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, took the ferry to PEI (before that bridge
went in).  Good times.

Work sent me to Alberta and BC, but then I visited with my sister in Burnaby.
So the only province I'm missing is Sask. and the 3 territories.  Gimmee some
time--I plan on driving to Tuktoyaktuk (yes you can actually drive there, so I'm
told...)

Lesee, the US...

Been to New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin,
Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado.  That's not too many.  I'm one of the few
Canadians that didn't go to 'march break' in Florida, and am not really
interested in anythign Disney.  If I'm in Florida, I'm at the Keys with 14 scuba
tanks and I'll see you in 2 weeks when I get out of the water...

Dave K