 Off-Topic / Debate / 2477
Re: Discussion (Was: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:32:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Christopher Lannan wrote:

Not only the huge costs of dispensing the money in these programs, but I • have
heard that 50% of the money that the IRS collects is spent collecting it. • That
seems like a terrible waste to me. Flat sales taxes anyone?

Chris

Sales tax, at least for the state (Michigan) is flat. How about a flat income
tax, or a consumption tax even? Anything is better than the awful monstrosity • of
the Federal tax system.

Scott S.

"I have worked harder than I ever have in my entire life, and I can't find • you a
tax cut." - Bill Clinton, 1993

Sure Bill, but you can spend billions on new "social programs", right? >:(

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator, CAD Systems Administrator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!
I guess that's what I mean- there would be no taxes except for about a 20%
sale tax on most things (I know there's going to be folks saying what about
this and that, milk, diapers, should folks on the dole pay? etc) I'm just
saying in general, there would be a significantly higher tax on sales and no
other taxes. That way the money is collected much cheaper, and not as much
gets by- IE drug money gets taxed when spent, people who are paid "under the
table" get taxed when they spend it. It just seems like a huge waste that the
IRS collects something like 12-15 billion dollars a year and spends half of it
just collecting it.

Chris