 Off-Topic / Debate / 24756
Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:27:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
Hmm, I think I could come reasonably close to pointing out the location of
every city I've lived in without just a map of North America including major
natural features.

Have you ever lived in Kansas?  ;)

No, and I admit, I would have a harder time placing Kansas with just a map
of natural features.

Look for the place with no elevation contours.  :-)

To the average American who has never left his home state

Home state?!?!?  I have a friend in NYC who says many people there live their
entire lives within an area comprised of a few city blocks!  All across the US
there are people who, like Samwise, never leave their home town.

True.

What?  False!!!  Sam traveled Middle-earth from Mordor to the Grey Havens,
something very few in Middle-earth could say that they had done.  Now his old
Gaffer, Hamfast, is given away by his very name.

I'd probably
qualify as "well-traveled" in the US, as I've been to both Canada and Mexico,
and set foot in more than ten States (flying over them doesn't count).

Let's see, I'm reasonably well travelled:

44 US states (perhaps 45 if I count driving on the highway through the edge
of Alabama, I don't think we actually got out of the car)
4 Canadian provinces
UK, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Yugoslavia
(also Slovenia, Croatia, and I'm pretty sure Bosnia - I travelled back in
1972), Romania, and Austria.

Yeah, well I've been to Compton.  All day.  Easter sunday even.  Nyahh!  :-)

Of course that's piddly compared to some folks here...

Seattle to the north (visted the Evil Empire).  Boston to the east.  Hawaii to
the west.  Only 10 states.  Belize to the south (quick one day dash out of
Mexico).  Tried to get the assignment that would have taken me to London, but
alas.  So, I'm further down the "piddly" scale, I'm afraid.

-->Bruce<--