 Off-Topic / Debate / 24733
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:59:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   No, they need to ignore debates based on flawed intelligence.

They need to know that it’s flawed intelligence before they can choose to ignore it on that basis. Last I checked the UN doesn’t have a spy department, and SH was refusing access to their more direct information gathering services, like UNSCOM.

What they really need to do is define what they intend to do if ignored before telling someone to obey their rule or face “dire consequences”. If they make threats like that and fail to follow through, they’ve completely invalidated their existence.

   Are you saying that mandate was still valid?

SH was ordered to allow UN inspectors complete access to any area they felt needed inspecting. He refused. They chose not to enforce it, but they never repealed it. Yes, that mandate is still valid. It might not have given Bush Jr. explicit permission to invade, but it did give him the excuse he needed (and before you say anything about stated motive vs true motive, just remember that Lincoln did not fight the Civil War because of slavery, but much of the Union did).

   So Clinton should have done less; not more?

Yes, and no. He should have done something different. All his missile barrage did was embolden SH and waste US taxpayer money doing so. Not shooting the missiles at all would have been a better solution, but it would have been preferable if he’d actually done something that would force/coerce/trick SH into complying with the terms of surrender that he’d agreed to at the end of the Gulf War. There weren’t any questions of the legitimacy of either of his elections, so he probably already had the popular support necessary to push this situation as far as necessary to gain compliance. He wasn’t Bush Sr’s son, so SH didn’t have an automatic mad-on for him (indeed, SH endorsed Gore’s presidential bid). And he wasn’t a “war-hungry Republican”, so theoretically the UN might have been less reluctant to step up to the plate if he’d told them to.

   Britain comprises Scotland, England and Wales (i.e. Britain can’t subjugate Scotland as it is part of it). Scotland is now a willing part of the UK;

Maybe now, but if they were so willing to rejoin England, please tell me why it’s still technically illegal to fly their national flag? Or maybe the fact that they tried to regain their freedom in both 1715 and 1745? How about the fact that from 1707-1999, Scotland was formally under English rule, with no parliament of their own?

   Did your SAT test cover geography? ;)

No, and neither did the various geography courses I’ve taken cover much in the way of Scottish history, but when a Scottsman marries into your family, you tend to develop a certain amount of curiosity.

   That did not. But guess what; nobody ever asked them what they wanted.

Of course not. SH dictated to them what they “wanted”, and Bush Jr’s primary stated purpose for going into Iraq was to ensure US safety. They may not have been better off during the waning days of the war (and depending on which of them you asked, they might not have been worse off either), but now they at least have hope for the future that they did not before. I just hope for their sakes that freedom which is handed to you tastes as sweet as freedom that you’ve had to fight for, so they can hold that in their hearts and resist any and all attempts to become the next SH.