 Off-Topic / Debate / 24716
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:35:36 GMT

  Churchill took a Just stand without one shot
being fired at the Brits.  Long term he did the right thing 'cause Hitler wasn't
going to stop with Poland.  And what gave Germany, as a sovereign naiton, the
right to invade Poland in the first place?

What gave them the right to stop him (not that they did)?

Britain and France had a treaty with Poland which guaranteed its territorial
integrity.

A {much} overlooked point is that the USSR invaded Poland a week or two after
Nazi Germany did. We did not declare war on them as Churchill hoped the USSR
would turn against Nazi Germany. In the end, the opposite happened.... and the
rest is history.

Scott A

You are going down an
avenue that ultimately shoots down the "sovereign nation can do what it wants"
so I don't mind this line at all.