 Off-Topic / Debate / 24649
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:55:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
I find myself with complicated reactions to the situation that I haven't yet
worked through.  Were they dodging slavery (the draft), then I would assert that
they had the moral high ground and I would be supportive of their desertion.
But I think it is much less proper to ditch your freely-taken contractual
obligations.  But should you feel obliged to perpetrate evil just because of
such a contract?  But maybe you should have thought of that before signing up.
But...

So, I guess my current emotional reaction is that I hope Canada grants the
asylum too.  But I think they should live in permanent exile.  (Unlike
Vietnam-era draft dodgers.)

Hmm, interesting question. I tend to feel that you should have known what
was possible before signing up. Anyone who is active now has had an
opportunity to bail out, or should have known before signing up that the US
has a habit of getting involved in "adventures" that don't hold the type of
high ground we held in WW II.

Some soldiers will always refuse to fight. I read the other day about
paratroopers who refused to jump on D-Day. During the Vietnam War, many
servicemen  refused to fight; indeed, a few ships did not leave port.

If soldiers have enlisted, I think they should be obliged to fight if the war is
deemed legal (soldiers may not be the best people to judge this) and they are
not being asked to commit a "war crime" (soldiers on the ground should be able
to judge this).

Am I correct in thinking that some US soldiers have been coerced into joining to
avoid going to jail?

Scott A

I'm not sure about permanent exile, unless they were fleeing a "just" war.

I think Canada should closely examine the reasons for seeking asylum. I
think many people have second thoughts when they realize they might actually
be shot at. I don't want to encourage people to take the military free ride
to education if they aren't willing to be shot at.

Frank