 Off-Topic / Debate / 24616
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:27:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   No. And the “no” answer should be obvious because clearly a great deal of the world clearly thinks it isn’t obvious.

“A great deal”?, or mostly France and Germany (who had national interests in seeing SH remain in power-- at the expense of the Iraqi people).

Name all those that you feel see it as “obvious”, subtract that from everyone else, and you will have “a great deal”.

Fine; put it this way: there are a great deal of countries on both sides. Saying “the world clearly thinks it isn’t obvious” is a gross distortion.

Actually, I’d say your misquote of me is the gross distortion (see the first line in the quote sequence for the correct claim). :-)

I stand corrected. I noticed my gaff after I posted:-( Though it isn’t your stance, it is a common misconception that is held. I apologize for attributing it to you:-)

   We are fighting for what Bush’s crowd thinks is “our” (U.S.) interests, or would like us to believe is our (no quotes) interests.

I think everyone would agree that the free flow of oil is in the best interests of our country and Iraq. Win-win.

Seems obvious even to you that is NOT about freeing the people of Iraq, but controlling the flow of oil (which was flowing anyway, just not our way).

Not controlling the flow of oil (or do you have cites for that?), but enabling the free flow of oil to occur. And I said I didn’t want to get into corrupt UN policies...;-)

I still don’t see what your point is here beyond controlling that flow (your original point was how it was obvious that this was all about freeing the Iraqis, yet still admit it was about the oil one way or the other).

Our main objective was eliminating a dangerous threat in the person of SH (via WMD proliferation mainly, but I wouldn’t rule out other forms, either). By doing so, we freed the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator. Win-win. And by helping the Iraqis establish a sovereign democracy, we guarantee a free flow of oil from a prolific source. Win-win-win.

   the point is mute;-)

Moot.

Hence the winky.

I tried to account for that, but it made utterly no sense reading it as mute, so let me reiterate: moot. :-)

There was no sense beyond poking fun at those who misuse the term “moot”. Purposefully misusing words is a little way in which I amuse myself; feel free to ignore my pitiful attempts to humor myself:-)

   And no, it isn’t,since the evidence is the exact opposite - his nationality does matter.

So are you proposing another civil war because McVeigh and Nichols were Americans? :-)

You oversnipped and lost me.

You were asserting that OBL’s nationality was germane to his actions as a terrorist. All I was asserting was that if he wasn’t acting on behalf of Saudi Arabia, he could be American for all it matters.

   That’s fine, except you carefully ignore my point: Bush is convenient on what he wants to pay attention to and what he wants to ignore (an act that he repeats to alarming degrees).

Yes, and this brings us back to Chris’ original statement a while back-- the US should tow the UN line or cut bait. I agree that pandering to the UN when convenient is silly when everyone knows that we will act in our own best interests when we need to (because sure as hell nobody else will!)

Thats fine, just don’t use the U.N. as the excuse to go to war. Selective pandering is my point.

I agree. But I understand the position Bush is in. On one hand, he wants to be a participant in the “world community”, but on the other he wants to preserve our national sovereignty. But in the end, it is like Kevin Garnett (the ‘03-‘04 NBA MVP) playing basketball on the playground with a group of elementary school kids. He may just want to fit in and play with his little “buddies”, but the fact is that he is so beyond them in terms of skill and size that his participation in any serious competition with them is a joke. The US is KG; Cameroon and Sudan are the “buddies”. Treating the US and countries like Burkina Faso as equals is rather a joke. We are too big to participate in games on the UN “playground”.

   (and it should be pointed out since Bush can’t substantiate his claims, it would appear that the U.N. was correct).

How? The weapons were never accounted for.

Exactly. Bush needs to account for his claims and can’t.

His claims that SH had WMDs? Everybody knew he had them. What we didn’t know is what he did with them. That was the proof that needed to be provided (to Blix & co)

And that would be the U.N., not George Bush, wouldn’t it? We are back to the point that their judgment was correct and Dubya’s wasn’t.

Not really. SH was never going to provide the proof that destroyed the WMDs. The whole scenario was FUBAR.

   Fine. As I stated before, it is irrelevant.

If the money that feeds them is flowing through Saudi Arabia, then it most certainly is not irrelevant.

If the money flows through the Saudi government. But I do acknowledge some grayness here when a government is the family business;-)

Dictatorship. Let’s use the right words. It doesn’t happen without someone in the family business taking part somewhere along the line.

My point is that the whole family doesn’t see eye to eye on certain issues, namely terrorism. The top condemns it, but some lower ministers clandestinely finance it.

The top turns a blind eye to it - the point remains that why are we bothering with Iraq when the greater problem regarding the terrorists lies in Saudi Arabia?

I think the Saudis are coming around to the idea that they need to go after extremists in their own backyard, because the royal family would ultimately become a target as well.

Bush has screwed up on just about all fronts: you should have been careful what you wished for four years ago.

I was! Thank God Gore hasn’t been at the helm this term!

   “We are fighting for Iraq, not against Iraq. Isn’t this obvious?” And then you agree with my assessment that we are NOT fighting for Iraq, but for our own self-interest, and then say you are not shooting yourself in the foot and are only being honest?

Why must these be mutually exclusive? They certainly aren’t in my mind-- WIN-WIN.

They are exclusive because the approach you are using is intellectually dishonest (or conviently lacking in morals, or a politician/lawyers’ usual sophistries). You claim that it all about helping Iraq, but it isn’t. Oh, maybe we might be helping Iraq in the long run (maybe, but that’s a different debate), but that’s not the motivating factor so it isn’t “obvious” that we ae fighting for any interests but our own. Maybe we are, but obvious it ain’t.

What is obvious is that we aren’t fighting Iraq; we are fighting for Iraq.

“...you want the idea that you dislike the UN and the US should get out of it but you’ll use their resolutions to invade, even though the UN didn’t want you to.”

I concede that jumping through bogus UN hoops is bogus.

Then why base a war off a “bogus hoop” U.N. resolution?

To appear as a team player on the UN (backfired when the world didn’t buy in). Again, I don’t support it.

   It means you are saying Bush’s reasons for war are bogus.

His ultimate reasons were sound; just not his trying to justify them to the UN.

   NO! He was mandated to verify that SH had destroyed WMDs he was KNOWN to have possessed. You aren’t paying attention!

You aren’t paying attention to the fact that Bush provides no evidence that they still existed.

They existed once. That is enough proof on Bush’s part.

No it is NOT! Bush told me (and you and every sinle American) that we should expend our resources and lives on trumped up evidence

Are you insinuating that the intelligence cited was fabricated?

Yes. I concede that it might also be incompetence,

I am there (failure of intelligence).

   though more likely incompetence combined with greed and selective vision (which I view as fabrication).

I reject “greed” arguments as the ramblings of black helicopter spotters.

The proof that
   was needed was that they had been destroyed (to be provided by SH)

This is just a scam argument to avoid admitting that he was dead wrong (or lied) about their being any “weapons of mass destruction” poised for immenent use upon the population of America.

Absolutely not. It is from Blix himself.

Bush was citing our own intelligence, not Blix.

Resolution 1441 called for providing proof by SH to Blix that WMDs had been destroyed. Our intelligence believed that they still existed. SH never proved that they had been destroyed, just asserting they were destroyed. If he really had destroyed them, then why the hell wouldn’t he show it and friggin’ remain in power??? It just doesn’t add up. More likely is that they are still hiding or were smuggled somewhere. This really is the only logical answer as to their status.

Call me when you can produce the right quote.

The gist was to provide proof that the WMDs had been destroyed or serious consequences would occur. Serious consequences. I don’t call more inspections “serious consequences”.

You need to leave in enough of the quote sequence for me to be able to figure out what this is in reference to.

Sorry. It is long and full of diplomatic BS. Check it out yourself(particular attention to line 13)

They wouldn’t follow up on their own resolutions! Impotent, useless.

“Not to mention that you are still using a U.N. sanction to justify actions that the U.N. itself does not sanction.” You are trying to dodge the point.

Again, I reject any uttering from the UN to be binding on the US. More impotent claptrap. What is the world going to do-- hate us more???

Again, you want to use the U.N. as an excuse for war,

Bush did, not me.

   and deride it in the same breath.

Yes, I deride it.

   And every time you are called on it you selectively claim the part that is inconvenient to you as claptrap, while seizing on the other as an excuse for unilateral action.

I am not a partisan for the administration on this one-- I have said from the beginning where I stand WRT the UN.

   We were worried about him providing WMDs to terrorists, not any attack from him.

No. That was not the stated reason for the war. Attack by Saddam was exactly what was cited. That’s how Bush sold the war.

I can honestly say that that was never my understanding of the motives of why we went to war. Can you cite that?

Not at this time of night - but Bush was citing Saddam as the direct threat, not the secondary threat.

I don’t think so. Maybe to our ally Israel....

I note Chris remembers it the way I do.

I note that another conservative might have heard it as I did;-)

Bottom Line: Bush the Elder should never have supported him in the first place.

Perhaps. But at the time we had a bigger enemy in Iran. Do you think that unholy alliances are wrong?

Actually, yes, when you blind yourself to the fact that it is an unholy alliance.

I don’t think anyone had the illusion that SH was a swell guy....

   But Bush is okay with scumbags (remember, this is the guy who didn’t want the communist governments in eastern europe overthrown).

Roosevelt was okay with Stalin-- arguably the biggest scumbag of all time...

He wasn’t blind to it being an unholy alliance.

Obviously neither were we, and we proved it by ousting SH.

   About the only thing he did right was form a coalition to free Kuwait by understanding his LIMITED mandate and sticking to that mandate. What you are saying is that he should have reneged on his agreements, destroying our national credibility just so he could save his own face.

No, I’m saying that he shouldn’t have made such agreements and we should have had a war such as we just had with Iraq 13 years ago. The coalition and UN pandering led directly to this war.

How were we to do that without the very agreements you said we shouldn’t have made?

We could have easily done it with an extra-UN coalition without the blessing of the UN.

JOHN