 Off-Topic / Debate / 24514
    Re: Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?) —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) OK, thanks for clearing that up. I do hope you can see why we all misinterpreted your original wording though. (...) Neither. I think a government is *capable* of acting in ways that would make me feel patriotic, and in fact the US government (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?) —Scott Arthur
   (...) It is a minor point, but I thought he was succinct: "Don't get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, a decent sewerage system), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool." It was CW's response which shaped things. If (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)