 Off-Topic / Debate / 24452
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:06:00 GMT

But I would argue that the issue of Bush's complicity in sparking an
unnecessary war would be better served by Moore's keeping his mouth entirely
shut, as his arguing in favour of something tends to suggest that being
against that particular something might be the better course to a large
number of people, including myself.

That's pure ad hominem reasoning,

Why?

Because you are, in the post-at-hand, dismissing causes solely because Moore
supports them.

No I'm not. Reread what you cited. "tends to suggest" is hardly Summarily
Dismissed. Further, being wrong about an issue or cause is not the same as
dismissing the issue or cause. I dismiss his opinions about issues (for valid
cause since he's usually wrong), not the issues.

You may have additional reasoning that you haven't shared here,
but since it's not yet been introduced in this discussion, it's irrelevant.

Which reasoning is that?

Although you elaborate on your argument further down in the current post, prior
to that you had not justified your position except through ad hominem.

Posts have to be in some sort of order?

It is merely an observation of a useful negative correlation. Same thing
holds here, Moore is a liar and gets his facts wrong and therefore we have a
good metric for judging issues based on his track record, whatever side he
is on is more likely(2) to be wrong.

No, you have a good measure for judging his opinion of an issue.

I agree. Which is all I said.

Instead, you
are summarily dismissing

See above. I think you're trying to improperly extend and generalise.

In fact I have never actually dismissed any of the issues (as issues) that he
has raised. For example, the topic of the proper application of the Second
Amendment right to keep and bear arms (the issue that Columbine addresses) is
certainly a valid issue and I have not in any way shape or form "summarily
dismissed" it *as an issue*.

I merely dismiss his input. I find his work on the topic to be so wrong as to
grieviously undermine the side that he's on but I have not dismissed the issue.

issues because you are uncomfortable with Moore's style
and habit.  I am on record in this forum condemning him for his errors and
omissions, but that is manifestly different from dismissing an issue based on
his support of it.  You are, in effect, justifying the dismissal of an issue
based on the person or people who support it, which is pure ad hominem.

No I am not, and no it isn't. See above.

The fact that you seek to justify that dismissal based on Moore's previous track
record is irrelevant,

No it isn't. It is in fact a valid metric to measure accuracy in the past as a
predictor of accuracy in the future. Moore has an abysmal track record so it
certainly is a valid approach to treat his future pronouncements with
skepticism. Since that's the case, and since many people don't go beyond first
appraisals, his espousal of a cause does the cause a disservice. Which is what I
said back in my first post. You're taking on bad habits of people that I find
rather more disagreeable to debate than you, please stop.

though you will surely claim that it is not.

Wrong again. I make no such claim that the issue should be dismissed so I am not
making any claims about whether justification is relevant. (why defend something
I didn't do to defend a claim I didn't make?)

The current

(Bush's perfidy, or the use of current events to justify power grabs and civil
rights trampling, or any of a number of other perspectives on the overall
problem)

issue is suitable for dismissal or it is not,

It is not. Never said it was. You may be thinking of other participants here.

but Moore's prior record has
nothing to do with it.

Didn't say it did have anything to do with dismissal of the issue since I'm not
dismissing it. You're knocking down a straw dog here, and doing rather badly at
it at that.

Citation of "interesting correlations" between a cause
and a supporter of that cause is simply an underhanded way of sneaking ad
hominem into the argument.

No it isn't, because it is not ad hominem to point out that someone has a poor
track record accuracy wise and therefore make predictions about the future.

Moore is a jerk because of his methods, (or if you like, he chooses to use
his methods because he's a jerk, it matters not to me) but it's not the methods,
rather his previous outcomes that lead me to my conclusion...

But doesn't that seem rather pathological?

Not to me. But I'm not a pathologist.

I mean, what would it take to
divorce your opinion of Moore from the issues he protests?

Nothing. It's already divorced. Annulled. There was never any marriage. No
ceremony and no consummation. No bouquet was tossed and caught by the 14 year
old with easy virtues, and your uncle didn't vomit on the bride's shoes. Er
wait, different context.

If he were to
complain about the over-reaching regulation of government as it pertains to
international trade, would you summarily drop your opinion of it because he
shares it?

No, but I certainly would regret that he took it up, just as I regretted that
Howard Stern professed to be a Libertarian back in the 80s.

But further, if you have a scoundrel espousing a cause that reflects badly on
the cause. That's not ad hominem, it's merely an observation.

Only among those who look no further than the figurehead.

Rather too many people, don't you agree?

In passing, why is John Stossel a jerk? I rather like him.

Well, my apologies to Mr. Stossel--I find him quite entertaining, in fact.  I
just needed a convenient rhetorical Libertarian scapegoat, and I didn't want to
beat on that poor colloidal silver guy again.

OK.