 Off-Topic / Debate / 24442
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:31:20 GMT

   Ray Bradbury is fired up about the title of Michael Moore’s forthcoming film. Regardless of your opinion of Moore or of Bradbury, it seems to me that this complaint is largely based on nothing.

No, it’s based on common courtesy, or the lack thereof on the part of Moore.

Since common courtesy is in the eye of the beholder, and since a title can certainly be spoofed without seeking the indulgence of the title’s holder, then Bradbury is left with nothing but sour grapes. Sorry, Ray, but that’s how it goes in the arena of public consciousness.

   Farenheit 911 is so obviously a takeoff on Farenheit 451 that it’s not really questionable that Moore intended to rip off the name recognition Bradbury has earned for the title. I mean, really, can anyone debate that?

So, you’re citing your inference of authorial intent as justification for condemnation? Sure we can debate it. Name recognition is likewise in the eye of the beholder. Stop 100 people on the street six months ago and ask them what Fahrenheit 451 means. And then ask them how Ray came up with the title. How many would correctly answer both questions? If anything, Bradbury’s work will enjoy additional name recognition in the wake of Moore’s film. He may not agree with the politics (or he may agree--it’s his right, obviously), but if he accepts even a dime’s worth of royalty from increased sales resulting from Moore’s film promotion, then he’s complicit.

   But who on this list is surprised? Moore is entirely without shame and his approach to his work is entirely without merit. That he happens to be on the right side of the issue this time is fortuitous coincidence for him, nothing more.

But I would argue that the issue of Bush’s complicity in sparking an unnecessary war would be better served by Moore’s keeping his mouth entirely shut, as his arguing in favour of something tends to suggest that being against that particular something might be the better course to a large number of people, including myself.

That’s pure ad hominem reasoning, and it’s beneath you. I reject Libertarianism because Harry Browne and John Stossel are jerks. Does that make more or less sense than your own dismissal of causes that Moore embraces?

Dave!