 Off-Topic / Debate / 24398
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
Again, the only reason I bring it up is because I'm led to believe that
inbreeding is damaging to the children produced by it, not to the
participants (which is why I said sex without the procreation bit would be
ok in my book, if not insanely difficult to enforce!). If you could show me
that inbreeding isn't any more harmful the resulting children, then, fine!

Hmm, but there are genetic conditions that are far more predictable in
damaging children. Should we not allow people with disease X from marrying?

Good point. Hmm.. I'm not sure. Certainly as I mentioned, marriage isn't the
issue in that case-- I'm still fine with brothers & sisters and people with
disease X marrying. Procreation? Hmm. I guess it seems sort of cruel to me to
have a child who's guaranteed to have disease X. But I suppose by the same
token, you could take it to the next level and argue various other types of
deformities and handicaps like blindness, etc. IE that if your child were 50%
likely to be blind, should you still have the child? Hmm.. Alright, I think I'm
convinced. Procreation all around!

DaveE