 Off-Topic / Debate / 24356
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:15:17 GMT

   Subjugating citizens to a second-class status,

Say again? Cites, please.

   denying them rights,

Which RIGHTS? Cites, please.

I’ll cite the Bill of Rights to the US Constitution. You even know the amendment... it’s the one that discusses the right of citizens to associate (or not) as they choose.

You are deliberately misinterpreting the Bill of Rights. Of course that Amendment had nothing to do with the concept of marriage.

   Then I’ll cite contract law in general. People can enter into (or not enter into) contracts as they like. (it’s based on that plank in the Bill of Rights, above)

The definition of marriage is the union of one man and one women. NO gay person is excluded from entering into this contract.

   Then I’ll cite the Equal Protection Clause. Government does not have, in principle, the right to discriminate against a class of citizens on the basis of their choice of association or contract or belief or creed.

Again, any man and any women is free to marry.

   Then I’ll cite Separation of Church and State. Government does not have, in principle, the right to enshrine one particular type of ceremony over others.

But governments are of the people, for the people, and by the people. They should have the right to determine how government shall act.

   Finally, I’ll cite the proposed Defense of Marriage Amendment itself. This proposed amendment, prima facie, proves that discrimination against those who espouse other relationships than your particular favorite, is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. For, after all, if it WERE, no amendment would be required (as proof I remind you of the 16th... prior to its adoption, income tax WAS unconstitutional)

No. You are wrong. Marriage has a specific definition. Go look it up. The proposed Defense of Marriage Amendment simply seeks to preserve the definition of marriage, so that it can’t be debased. I’m sorry, it is what it is (until someone changes it, and most people don’t want to do that)

   You’re left with nothing but utilitarian arguments, because on a rights basis, you’re shredded.

And as far as utilitarian arguments, even if we grant they are a way to argue, you’re pretty much washed up too.

Okay, here’s a utilitarian argument: If the definition of marriage is changed, then what does it become, and how is any definition (which, uh, by definition, limits the scope of the concept) justifiable?

If you change the definition of marriage to anything else, pandora’s box is opened and the institution ceases to exist, period. What good does that serve?

   Give it up, John.

This is a culture war, and I plan to do anything but!

JOHN