 Off-Topic / Debate / 24332
Re: The Real Waste
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
I'm truly surprised you haven't suggested one obvious solution.  Why not
let the government regulate the wages of those overpaid, barely working
university professors?  That's sure to bring the cost of higher education
down and it has a certain ring of fairness to it.  ;)

Is this considered an issue in the US?

People say things like that occasionally, but I don't think it's an endemic
view.  I know a few professors and they're all quite underpaid -- by which I
mean they could be working in the private sector and making twice as much or
more for working the same long hours.  But they love the work.  These are
Engineering and Law professors.  I suspect people are more willing to disrespect
art, English, and history professors as layabouts.

Chris