 Off-Topic / Debate / 24329
Re: "free" at the point of delivery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   If you truly want to learn, you’ll find a way to pay. Your way rewards intelligent lazy people (you?). I’d say there’s a balance somewhere, but you haven’t got it right either.

I’m truly surprised you haven’t suggested one obvious solution. Why not let the government regulate the wages of those overpaid, barely working university professors? That’s sure to bring the cost of higher education down and it has a certain ring of fairness to it. ;)

I have no idea what you are talking about; I have never set foot in a US university. As an aside, I understand university “professors” in the US do not get paid out of term-time?

I never mentioned the US. Take your blinders off, or open your eyes. I know. It’s Monday.

2 Points then: 1. What experience do you have of Universities outside the USA? 2. What makes you think “professors” are “overpaid”?

   No, I didn’t think you’d like that idea. But you’re almost right about the cost of higher education. The cost is out of balance. It’s gotten way to high. But we need a balanced approach to fix it. There’s something to be said about paying back 10 years worth of student loans to teach you a thing or two about value that you don’t get in school. However lifelong debt is a bit too heavy a lesson. Find me a reasonable solution that provides some true balance. Hint, don’t use the word “free”.

Read what I said. It is only “free” at the point of delivery.

Exactly what I’m talking about. It should not be free at the point of delivery because that simply produces over-educated idealists with no concept of the real world. Find a way to make it affordable, not free.

I suppose I could say “read what I said”, but perhaps it wasn’t written well?

First you will have to show me that “free” education produces “idealists with no concept of the real world”. Please don’t recite an anecdote, I would prefer something more impartial.

Scott A

Enjoy,

Don