 Off-Topic / Debate / 24320
24319  |  24321
Subject:
"free" at the point of delivery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:20:25 GMT

   If you truly want to learn, you’ll find a way to pay. Your way rewards intelligent lazy people (you?). I’d say there’s a balance somewhere, but you haven’t got it right either.

I’m truly surprised you haven’t suggested one obvious solution. Why not let the government regulate the wages of those overpaid, barely working university professors?

I have no idea what you are talking about; I have never set foot in a US university. As an aside, I understand university “professors” in the US do not get paid out of term-time?

   That’s sure to bring the cost of higher education down and it has a certain ring of fairness to it. ;)

No, I didn’t think you’d like that idea. But you’re almost right about the cost of higher education. The cost is out of balance. It’s gotten way to high. But we need a balanced approach to fix it. There’s something to be said about paying back 10 years worth of student loans to teach you a thing or two about value that you don’t get in school. However lifelong debt is a bit too heavy a lesson. Find me a reasonable solution that provides some true balance. Hint, don’t use the word “free”.

Read what I said. It is only “free” at the point of delivery.

Scott A