 Off-Topic / Debate / 24297
Re: More Orwell, for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:01:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

The other thing I have long advocated is giving every Australian who completes a
tertiary course of studies a round the world airline ticket, so that they can
actually go to a few other and far flung countries, and see how things are
different there.  Its powerful mojo for getting people past the mindset that
thinks that 'everyone does/should/must think like me'.  And it creates a deeper
respect for how we do things at home.  There's a bunch of other cool outcomes
too (and an increase in greenhouse gases emissions unhelpfully higher in the
atmosphere - ahh well, precious few ideas are comepletely good).

There's also the small issue that it costs a lot of money to do that. Who is
going to pay for it?

Oh I don't know.  I'd put it somewhere around the $300m mark.  I never cease to
be amazed at how much money we spend on advertising programmes to alert the
general public as to how nice and clever the government thinks it is,
particularly with an election looming.  I haven't gone over the federal budget
looking for the money, but I am not disheartened by the magnitude of the
project.

And there's no reason one could not means test it, loan the money and suspend
repayment (as we do with our Higher Education Charges already) and do any number
of things to reduce the cost if we were of a mind to do so.

And I am by no means suggesting that this is the only or even the best thing
that I would do with a lazy A$300m.  A Richard Parsons Federal budget might be
strange and wonderful thing.

I am suggesting that I found the experience extremely formative, much more so
than many of the things I went through in the name of education.

Richard
Still baldly going...