 Off-Topic / Debate / 24272
24271  |  24273
Subject:
More Orwell, for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:39:37 GMT

Orwell has some passages that could easily be uttered by Rumsfeld today, for
example, and no one would notice a change in diction or message.

For the sake of literary snobbery, I did a little looking over the weekend,
and here are two examples I came up with:

<http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/1984/4?term=question From Book
One, chapter 4:>

[Winston thought for a moment, then pulled the speakwrite towards him and
began dictating in Big Brother's familiar style: a style at once military and
pedantic, and, because of a trick of asking questions and then promptly
answering them ('What lessons do we learn from this fact, comrades? The
lesson -- which is also one of the fundamental principles of Ingsoc -- that,'
etc., etc.), easy to imitate]

Anyone who's heard Rumsfeld speak should easily recognize this as his
signature discursive style.

And here's something interesting from
<http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/1984/11?term=puritanism Book Two,
Chapter 3:>

[It was not merely that the sex instinct created a world of its own which was
outside the Party's control and which therefore had to be destroyed if
possible. What was more important was that sexual privation induced hysteria,
which was desirable because it could be transformed into war-fever and
leader-worship. . . All this marching up and down and cheering and waving
flags is simpIy sex gone sour. . . For how could the fear, the hatred, and
the lunatic credulity which the Party needed in its members be kept at the
right pitch, except by bottling down some powerful instinct and using it as a
driving force? ]

What's interesting to me about this passage is how it meshes with the FCC's
authoritarian lockdown of all-things-carnal in the wake of Janet's breast.
It's a good thing there are two wars to help us channel all of our obscene
lusts away from sex and toward good, wholesome carnage.

Mmmmm.  I have long advocated that 1984 should be required reading in the last
year of high school education.

And the older I get, the louder I hear it echoed in the world around me.

Maybe that's me, maybe its the world.

The other thing I have long advocated is giving every Australian who completes a
tertiary course of studies a round the world airline ticket, so that they can
actually go to a few other and far flung countries, and see how things are
different there.  Its powerful mojo for getting people past the mindset that
thinks that 'everyone does/should/must think like me'.  And it creates a deeper
respect for how we do things at home.  There's a bunch of other cool outcomes
too (and an increase in greenhouse gases emissions unhelpfully higher in the
atmosphere - ahh well, precious few ideas are comepletely good).

Richard
Still baldly going...